Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Getting to Know You

Ok, here's something you didn't know about me - we celebrate Hanukkah.

I was raised as a generic Christian, though technically I'm Episcopalian. Scott was raised full-on Jewish, but stopped practising after his Bar Mitzvah (when he "became a man" - which in reality still has yet to happen, but that's another post). So neither one of us is particularly religious.

We've always celebrated Christmas together and we've always had a menorah around during the holiday season. The year that Scott's dad died we both sort of felt like actually lighting the candles. Still it was just sort of a thing we did - nothing really serious.

Once we moved to Michigan and had to fly home for Christmas we realized that we didn't want to schlep our presents for each other across the country, but we wanted to have our own holiday time together. So we decided to begin celebrating Hanukkah together.

Now I love it - we have a special spot in the house for our menorah, and together we say the blessing together. Religious or not, it's nice to have our own holiday tradition.

Current Music: Hanukkah Blessings - Barenaked Ladies

8 comments:

Just Laura said...

Happy Hannukah! It's wonderful to have your own traditions.

Shalom =)

Bronwyn said...

I think that is fantastic.

Chris said...

Hi, I can't find any contacts on your blog. Can I ask you to send a note for me? My email is in profile.
Thanks, Chris

Anonymous said...

I like that, Mandy Lou. Very cool. Happy Hannukah to you and yours!

for a different kind of girl said...

I think it's lovely you two have found this tradition to share together. Happy Hannukah!

Anonymous said...

Happy Hannukah. May there be lots of latkes in the coming days.




http://verycontrary.wordpress.com/

Lori said...

Happy Hannukah!
Do you get presents for both holidays too?

Scoobers said...

I think it's great that you celebrate both traditions and Hanukkah starts the season off a little earlier. More to celebrate!

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com