Monday, September 22, 2008

The Number is Up

A while ago I wrote about my Dad's days being numbered - today his number came up. My Dad is gone.

I was about to walk out the door for work when my sister called. Now it's never a good thing if my sister is up at 6:30am (on so many levels), so I wasn't expecting anything good - but I wasn't expecting this. How do you prepare yourself for that?

He hadn't been feeling well for a while, he'd been light headed and short of breath and he went to the clinic (the special post-transplant clinic that took care of him) - but both times he went they said they couldn't figure out what the problem was and they sent him home. He was having problems, but we didn't expect this.

I'm trying to remember that these last two years, since his transplant have been borrowed time - just extra, special time. But mostly I'm just in shock and feeling incredibly lost.

We're headed home to California for a week to take care of my Mom. Thankfully my sister has done what she does best- she took charge of everything and most of the basic details are covered. I'll be gone for a bit, but I'll be back.

Current Music: Solitude - Billie Holiday

9 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Oh...honey...wow...I'm so sorry to read this! My prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so terribly sorry. I don't know what else to say...nothing will make it better, but I'm sending a huge hug to you.

Take care of yourself.

Bronwyn said...

I am so sorry. That sucks so much. I'm glad you were able to have some extra time with him. It makes a difference.

Thinking of you and your family. I know all too well how much this sucks and I am sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry. I wish there was something I could do. You will be in my thoughts.

Nilsa S. said...

I don't really know you. But, I've shed a tear for you. Because really, no matter how forthcoming death is, we are never prepared to lose our parents. Know that your father has left a wonderful legacy in your sister and you. And that by living your lives the way he taught you, you will make sure his legacy lives on. For now, take the time to mourn. And to be with your family. And know, others are thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I am happy you and he had those extra two years.
So sorry that it's come to an end.
I lost my own Daddy 18 years ago - he was only 56 - I know exactly how you feel.
Sending healing vibes your way from New York

kimmyk said...

whoa.
this was totally unexpected.
i am very sorry for your loss. i'm glad that you were able to spend 2 extra special years with your dad.

my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

big hugs.

Lori said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you must be feeling now. Even though it was borrowed time as you say, I'm sure it doesn't make it any easier.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Be safe and try make the best of this time with family.

Anonymous said...

oh, i just have tears in my eyes for you. i am so so sorry for your loss. all my love and prayers to you and your family at this time, Mandy Lou.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com